Download the report: Tigerlily Consciousness Report - April 2019
Top 5 of 2018
We've focused on these areas and are excited to share our results.
Just because it's hidden, doesn't mean it's less important. In our quest to produce garments made entirely from circular materials, we are detail-driven. While most brands forget the linings, over the past year, we have been able to move 100% of our swim lining fabrics to custom-developed recycled nylon. Our garment labels are made from recycled materials too.
Sustainable Lenzing™ Fibres
We're introducing more recycled fabrics and sustainable cottons, while ensuring our viscose is eco-friendly. In the past, our collections have relied heavily on regular viscose and rayon fabrications. We've worked hard to source responsible viscose produced using the Lenzing™ process, which ensures the wood pulp feedstocks are sustainably sourced, and the fibre is processed in a best-practice closed-loop system that recovers chemicals. From 2019, 100% of our viscose fabrics sourced from China will be LENZING™ certified.
We have increased our usage of fabrics certified by Oeko-tex® a globally recognised accreditation process ensuring no hazardous chemicals are used. Beginning 2019, 100% of all swimwear fabrics will be Oeko-tex® certified. In future it will become non-negotiable for our suppliers to offer this certification.
Carbon footprint reduction
In the past 6 months, we have reduced our reliance on air freight by 41%, shipping 4,000 kilograms less by air and saving 14 tonnes of carbon emissions. We're working with our logistics partners to ensure better consolidation of goods from our major ports, so that full container loads are shipped.
In 2018 we switched our online packaging from cardboard boxes to compostable bags. Each bag is made from 100% biodegradable materials and can be composted at home. This not only addresses landfill waste, but also reduces freight volume and our carbon footprint.
“We acknowledge that we still have work to do. As we grow, our commitment continues and we look forward to bringing you on our journey as we set the following goals.”
- To move 100% of our viscose and rayon fabrics to certified sustainably sourced by the end of 2020.
- To continue to focus on reducing our CO2 emissions via additional work on the consolidation of our bulk shipments, and strategic planning of our international shipping. We aim to reduce our air freight to less than 10% of our volume by 2020.
- To work towards replacement of our D2W® garment polybag with a fully compostable option across all bulk production from all partners. Our goal is to have a compostable option for all production by the end of 2020.
- To source and develop alternative, more sustainable jersey solutions using Lenzing™ yarns. We will continue to work with our partners to find a product that meets our needs.
- To further develop partnerships with social enterprises and not for profit organisations in India to support and empower women fashion artisans and build communities there.